Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Marriage/Affidavit of Civil Status

Marriage Formalities in Spain

Please check with the Civil Registry or District Court prior to assembling your documents.  An average delay of 45 to 60 days should be expected after the documents have been submitted.


Applications must be made to the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) or District Court (Juzgado) where the marriage will be celebrated.  The Civil Registry in Barcelona is at Plaça Duc de Medinaceli 2, 08002. Tel. (34) 93-412-0474, web:   

1.         Application Form: Can be obtained from the Civil Registry/District Court assuming jurisdiction.

2.         Birth Certificate:  The original document is mandatory. To obtain a birth certificate from your state visit:

Apostille: Foreign birth certificates must be legalized to be valid in Spain.  The apostille is an official international seal verifying a document for use outside its country of origin.  It is issued by an authorized office in the state where your certificate was issued, NOT by the Spanish or U.S. Consulate.  To obtain The Hague Legalization Convention apostille please visit:

Naturalized citizens should check with the embassy/consulate of their native country for guidance on authentication of birth certificates, as the apostille is not available in certain countries.

Translation:  Foreign birth certificates must be translated into Spanish by an official translator after you have received it with the apostille. Access this link to download a list of translators.  

3.         Proof Both Parties Are Free to Marry (Fe de Soltería):  No document equivalent to the "Fe de Solteria y Vida" exists in the United States.  Spanish authorities will accept a sworn statement from the U.S. citizen affirming that he/she is single and free to marry executed before the U.S. Consul.  This document is in Spanish. To obtain one please bring your current U.S. passport.

            If you are divorced, we suggest you to bring a copy of the divorce decree to be able to complete the affidavit properly.

Fee:  There is a fee of US$ 50.00 (or the equivalent in Euros) for each affidavit and may be done at the same time as items 5 and 6.

Appointment:  An appointment must be booked on-line for this service at our web site:

4.         Divorce/Annulment/DeathCertificates :  If you have been married before, you must submit evidence that the relationship has ended.  Access the following link for instructions on how to obtain vital records: documents originated outside Spain must be accompanied by an apostille and Spanish translations. Please see information on Apostille and Translation above.

5.         Certificate of Residence:  U.S. citizens legally residing in Spain for the prior two years can obtain a certificate of residence at no charge from the Tenencia de Alcaldía in their district of residence (Empadronamiento).  U.S. citizens who are temporary residents of Spain or have lived here less than two years may execute an affidavit regarding their place of residence before a consular officer. Please bring your valid U.S. passport.  See Appointment and Fee above. This document is in Spanish.   

  • Spanish law may permit foreigners who are not Spanish legal residents to marry here.  The different autonomous communities in Spain may, however, interpret this law differently and may be required that one of the parties be a citizen or resident of Spain.

6.         Posting of BannsBanns are a public announcement that a couple plans to marry, giving any knowledgeable citizen an opportunity to object.  If required, U.S. citizens can execute an affidavit at the Consulate General.  Bring your valid U.S. passport.  See Appointment and Fee aboveThis document is in Spanish.

  • Once you execute the affidavit(s) before the Consular Officer, you are required to legalize the Officer’s signature through the Foreign Affairs Ministry in Madrid:

   Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación (MAEC)- Sección de Legalizaciones

Calle Juan de Mena 4, Madrid, Tel: 91 379 1655.

Email:; Web:

 Marriage Abroad: Marriages which are legally performed and valid in Spain are, as a general rule, also accepted in the United States.  Please consult the office of the State Attorney General in your state of residence as regards the validity of "foreign" marriages in that jurisdiction.  Please visit the following website regarding marriage abroad:

Legalize your marriage: If you plan to return to the U.S., you should have your Spanish marriage document legalized with the apostille. Please visit the website of the Spanish Ministry of Justice at:

lmmigrant Visas: Information on obtaining a U.S. visa to reside in the U.S. for a foreign spouse may be obtained at