Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Passport Services

The U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona provides services to U.S. Citizens needing a new passport, a renewal of a current passport, pages added to an existing passport, names changes in a passport, or a replacement of a lost or stolen passport. Routine (non-emergency) passport services will require an appointment.

Except in emergencies, U.S. passports are produced at facilities in the United States. Emergency passports are produced onsite at the Consulate and can be processed generally within a few hours. Emergency passport services do not require an appointment. However, emergency passports will only be processed for citizens that must travel within 10 business days and can present evidence of this need to travel (plane or train tickets, etc).

If you are in the Balearic Islands, you need to contact the U.S. Consular Agent in Palma de Mallorca for an appointment. Please call them at 971 403 707 and leave a message or send them an e-mail to

Links to application forms, photo requirements and fees.

Passport processing time and the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

With the implementation earlier this year of the first phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, more U.S. citizens than ever before need to apply for a passport. Due to the heavy demand for U.S. passports please allow for 10 days for processing.


We have forms available online for printing for the following areas:

When submitting an application form, please make sure it is printed single-sided. Back-to-back printed forms, unfortunately, cannot be processed.

Application for Passport Form (DS-82)

This form should only be used for renewing a previously issued US passport at anytime. There are 4 criteria for using this form. Please use the following checklist to see if you are eligible to apply with a DS-82:

  1. I can submit my most recent passport, and
  2. I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport was issued, and
  3. I was issued my most recent passport in the last 15 years, and
  4. I use the same name as on my most recent passport or since my passport was issued, I have had my named changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name-change.
  5. Note: If you do not meet one or more of the above four criteria, please use the DS-11 application form.

Note: The Barcelona Consulate General does not offer expedited passport service.

Application for Passport Form (DS-11)

You must use this form if:


  1. You have never had a US passport; or
  2. You are under age 16; or
  3. You are age 16+ submitting a passport with a five-year validity; or
  4. Your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or
  5. Your most recent passport was lost or stolen. (If you are applying because your most recent passport was lost or stolen, you will also need to submit Form DS-64 listed below).

U.S. Passport Re-Application Form (DS-5504)

This form is commonly used to correct an error in a recently issued passport, to renew an emergency passport or for a name change. Please use the following checklist to determine your eligibility to use this form:

  1. My most recent U.S. passport was issued less than one year ago.
  2. I can submit my most recent U.S. passport.
  3. I have had a change in my name.
  4. My identifying information was printed incorrectly.
  5. My most recent U.S. passport was limited in validity for one year or less and/or issued outside of the U.S.

Application for Additional Visa Pages Form (DS-4085)

This form is used for adding pages to currently issued passports.

Statement Regarding Lost Or Stolen Passport (DS-64)

This form should be submitted along with the DS-11 Application for a Passport and brought with you when you go in person to apply for a new passport if your previous passport has been lost or stolen.

Statement of Consent - Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 (DS-3053)

This form should be submitted, along with the DS-11 Application for Passport, for minors under age 16 as evidence of parental permission if:

  • You are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to passport issuance for your child, or
  • You are an applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained.


Registration of a Birth Abroad


Embassy Registration

Online travel registration form

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.