Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Living in the Barcelona Consular District

Residency and Work Permits

U.S. citizens wanting to study, reside, or work in Spain must obtain the appropriate visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their state/country of last residence.  After the visa has been issued, foreigners have three months to apply for the corresponding permit with the Spanish authorities in Spain.  Obtaining a residence or work permit is a complicated process; since regulations change continually, we suggest that you write directly to the:

Spanish National Police
Calle Moratin, 43
28014 Madrid

You may also check the Ministry of Interior ’s website, or call the Ministry of Interior, within Spain, toll-free at 900-15-00-00.  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also manages a website.

For information regarding Barcelona you may contact the Foreigner’s Office.

Foreigners’ Office

Address: Passeig de Sant Joan, 189,  Barcelona
Metro Station: Plaza Joanic (Yellow Line)
Phone: 93/520.14.10

Driving In Spain

U.S. citizens visiting Spain who want to drive in Spain must obtain an international driving permit prior to their arrival in Spain. An international driving permit (IDP) translates your state-issued driver’s license into 10 languages so you can show it to officials in foreign countries to help them interpret your driver’s license. The IDP is not valid by itself and must be carried with your driver’s license. Click the following link for more information on driving overseas.

U.S. citizens who are residents of Spain must obtain a valid Spanish driver’s license. At this time, there is no agreement between the United States and Spain for the validation of a U.S. driver’s license; therefore, holders of a U.S. license must attend a Spanish driving school and take the Spanish exam. You can find more information on the Spanish Minister of the Interior’s website.

Medical Information